Tuesday, February 24, 2009


That’s me wrestling with loose and wonky foot rests. This chair had been altered before and the foot rests were not exactly compatible. Therapist Laura is giving needed advice while support Rachel is already seeing the next recipient. The guys on either side of me are with the recipient and were quite interested in how I was going to solve the problem of the foot rests interfering with front wheel rotation. This is a country where just about everyone by necessity is a handyman. Even though I solved the problem, I did so with my limited time and resources. I know that most likely these guys would have this chair in a shop the next day with a much better fix. I also embarrassed myself. This was right after I had adjusted the brakes. The allen adjustment screws were rusty, and I was using and adjustable wrench as leverage on the allen wrench. It slipped and I cut open my left thumb. Since it didn’t bleed right away, I kept working…..until my tools, and hand and chair started to get all bloody. Um, “kaa toht” - excuse me. I wiped everything down with a hand towel and sought a band aid from Bonnie Bijerre (very likely not a correct spelling of her name) our Director of Bay Area chapter of Joni and Friends. She handed me a wrinkled and soggy band aid from her apron. I didn’t ask why it was soggy. It was better than nothing (maybe).

No comments:

Post a Comment